Friday, March 2, 2012

Step by Step

In the battle of April vs. Inertia, this week I have launched an assault that hopefully will get some momentum building on my side. I've decided to participate in a "Take the Stairs Challenge" at work, in which I will log the number of flights of stairs I climb each day. This will make me eligible to win prizes and such, but the prize I'm really aiming for is a new state of mind.

During my typical work day, I don't really go anywhere, so I'm trying to park on a different floor in the garage to add some more stairs there, and I might skip the elevator to my office in the mornings too. Today I actually left the building briefly at lunch time, and managed to rack up MANY more flights than usual, and boy did I feel the burn (in my lungs more than in my legs). That's definitely atypical for me though.

The place I plan to make the most changes is at home. I live on a three-level house, but do most of my living on the main level. The upstairs is where my two oldest kids sleep, and the basement holds the playroom and my neglected treadmill. I've gotten into the lazy habit of only going up or down the stairs if I absolutely have to. It's a habit I legitimately developed while I was hugely pregnant, and legitimately continued while I was recovering from my c-section, but now have no legitimate excuse to continue any further. I need to get in the healthier habit of GETTING OFF MY ASS, if you'll pardon my crassness.

I figure if I force myself to take several extra trips upstairs or down to the basement each day while I'm participating in this challenge, I can shift my state of mind from indulging the sedentary lifestyle to embracing the more active one. In my experience, exercise begets more exercise, so the more I'm moving all around my house, the more I'll want to keep doing so. And if I'm going down to the basement anyway, I might as well hop on the treadmill for a bit while I'm there, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment