Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ch-Ch-Changes

Change is afoot here at Might As Well Tri!

As I'm gearing up to fully embrace the active lifestyle again, I'm starting to rely on this blog as a motivating factor. The more I write, the more I want to do things so that I'll have even more topics to cover! In order to keep that momentum going, I'm going to create a little more structure here so it will be easier for me to organize my thoughts.

Basically, I'm going to assign a topic or theme to each day of the week (and in some cases it will be multiple themes that will rotate according to circumstances or my mood). Then, any time I think of something I'd like to write about, I'll figure out which theme fits best, and create a post in that format for that day.

Now, I'm a little rebellious by nature, and sometimes I enjoy having structure in place just so I can deviate from it. If I ever have a post that I'm dying to publish, but it doesn't fit into any of my established themes, I'm just going to post it anyway. I also might blend categories together, or mix up the days, or make any other changes that strike my fancy in the moment. The idea isn't to limit my creativity, but rather to help me sharpen up some of my ramblings. I like to color both inside and outside the lines.

Here are my planned themes:
MONDAY: Summary of the previous week (I have already started this. In addition, once I resume racing, I will probably post race reports on Mondays as well.)
TUESDAY: Tuesday Tips (I've tried this feature before and appreciated the helpful feedback I received. This time I will occasionally give tips of my own in addition to asking for advice.)
WEDNESDAY: Wordless/Wordy Wednesdays (Bloggers have been using the Wordless Wednesday theme for years, and I think it's pretty cool. It will be a challenge for me, as I'm much better expressing myself with LOTS AND LOTS OF WORDS (shocking, I know) than with little to none. I'm not sure if I'll be any good at taking and posting the pictures, but I will do my best. And since it will probably make me a little twitchy trying to express myself without words, I'll post the occasional WORDY post to balance it all out. Anytime I find that I have a whole lot to say on a topic, I'll save that post for a Wednesday.)
THURSDAY: Inspiration of the Week (Here I will share quotes, songs, stories, people, etc. that inspire me. These might end up being the most interesting posts of all, because they will rarely be about me. ;-) )
FRIDAY: Funny/Food/Five Things (I'm a little indecisive about what I want to post on Fridays, but I know it needs to be entertaining. No one wants to read boring or serious stuff while they're watching the clock and getting psyched up to start the weekend!! I love to eat and I love to laugh, so it makes sense to include both of those general ideas on Fridays. I also like the idea of posting fun lists of five things...and those five things could overlap with the food, the funny stuff, or any of the other categories I cover. Or really any random topic at all. The sky's the limit! This is the theme I am both most excited and most doubtful about. Though I love to read little lists, I'm not sure if I'll be clever enough to come up with good ones of my own. If not, then I guess be on the lookout for even more jokes and recipes.)
SATURDAY: Saturday Shopper (Just like Tuesday Tips, I've tried this feature before and appreciated the feedback, so I'll introduce it again, and this time add some of my own suggestions in addition to asking for recommendations.)
SUNDAY: Spirituality (Don't worry, this isn't going to morph from a fitness blog into a religion blog. In fact, most of the time I will probably take Sunday off from blogging...you know, day of rest and all that. But I do consider my spiritual health to be just as important, if not more so, than my physical, emotional, and mental health, so to the extent that I have any faith-based thoughts to share, I will publish those posts on Sundays.)

As always, I appreciate your comments and welcome your questions. Though I write primarily for myself, the whole point of making it public is to connect with other people who might relate to me in some way. If any of this new structure fails to resonate with my readers, I'd like to know so I can determine whether it's worthwhile to continue. And on the flip side, if any particular feature is incredibly popular with you, I might try to focus more of my energy in that area. So please keep me posted on what you like or don't like! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment