Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Like Riding a Bike

The BAD news: I have been neglecting this blog for several weeks. I'm sure you've all been dying to know what's going on with me, right? Heh.

The GOOD news: I have NOT been neglecting my body during this time. I've kept up with running and walking and push ups and crunches and even resumed swimming (more on that later)!! I've just been too busy/lazy/distracted to write about any of it.

The AWESOME news: I'm BACK, with a detailed update and a promise not to abandon you again...well, at least until I get busy/lazy/distracted again!

Let's look at the stats and see where things stand:
Weight: Been holding strong at 216 for a few weeks now
Weekly Change: N/A
Overall Change: -3 from "starting weight" of 219
Next goal weight: 214
BMI: 31.4(obese) (using this calculator)
Waist Circumference: 38 inches
Disease Risk: Very High (according to this chart)
Jeans Size: 18
Total Workouts: 3+ every week!
Total Running Time: Last week, a total of 57 minutes!
Total Running Distance: 4.75 miles
Longest Single Run: 21 min./1.75m (NO walking!!))
Progress on Training Plan(s): I'm finishing up Week 10 of this Couch to 5K program .
Progress in Sit Up/Push Up Challenge: Up to 40 push ups and 80 crunches
Highest Daily Step Count: 17,666
Injury Report: Busted toe still hurts on and off. Leg pain comes and goes, but lately there has been more pain in the ankle than further up. I've been icing the ankle after every run and it seems to help.
Last Week's Goal(s): Of the last three goals I set, I accomplished two in that week: I got up at 5:30 to run, and I set a new PR for steps walked in one day. Since then, I have gotten better at getting up at or close to 5:30 nearly every day, and I set an even higher new personal best step count. I still have not gotten a bicycle working yet though.
Next Event Goal: Though I'm still not ready for a 5K, today I registered for a 10K: this October I will once again be running the Marine Corps Marathon 10K. I should have plenty of time to prepare if I keep up with my current training plan for a couple more weeks and then switch to a 10K training plan at the end of the month. I'm on the lookout now for a 5K or two to squeeze in along with my 10K training.
This Week's Goals: (1) Exercise on July 4th even though it's a holiday and I'll really want to sleep in! (2) Get my bike into functional shape; and (3) Renew pool pass and swim more than once (I would have left it at "once," but since I already did that this morning, it seems a little like cheating!)

Analysis: I'm really pleased with my recent progress. Running has gotten SO much easier, which is making it more enjoyable too! I think being outside has made a difference -- I am so happy to be getting up and running outside in the mornings now! I'd been procrastinating a bit on getting back in the pool, probably because I was a little apprehensive about it. I just didn't know what to expect -- would it be as difficult as it was the very first time I tried to swim laps? Would I have to overcome my fears and struggle to put my face in the water all over again? I'm thrilled to say the answer to both of those is NO!! Once I slipped into the water this morning, it all came back to me, and I was able to swim without struggle or fear. Of course, it was incredibly exhausting and I had to spend more time on my kickboard than on my own, but I know I'll build my stamina back up before too long. It was a really great feeling getting into the pool again, and I can't wait to go back!! Overall, I have lots of positive energy and feelings about how things are going, except when it comes to my weight. I'm thinking of devoting a whole post to that soon, so for now I'll just say that I don't think I'm content to let my weight be a secondary concern anymore and it might have to become as much of a priority as my other fitness goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment