Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Time to Wake Up! {Weekly Summary}

Weight: I actually forgot to weigh myself. Oops?
Weekly Change: N/A
Overall Change: As of last week, -4 from "starting weight" of 219
Next goal weight: 214
BMI: As of last week, 31.3 (obese) (using this calculator)
Waist Circumference: As of last week, 38 inches
Disease Risk: Very High (according to this chart)
Jeans Size: 18
Total Workouts: 2
Total Running Time: 12 min.
Total Running Distance: 1 mile
Longest Single Run: 12 min./1m (NO walking!!))
Progress on Training Plan(s): I'm still in Week 8 of this Couch to 5K program .
Progress in Sit Up/Push Up Challenge: Up to 33 push ups and 66 crunches
Highest Daily Step Count: 10,659
Injury Report: Lots of busted toe pain. I wasn't planning to rest the sore leg, but since I haven't managed to run in nearly a week, that has happened anyway, and I've noticed much less pain. We'll see what happens when I resume running though!
Last Week's Goal(s): After another week of failing at all my goals, I've decided I am indeed trying to do too much. Though I want to keep working on all these different facets of fitness, I need to focus on just a few specific goals at a time, so when I get busy or overwhelmed, I'll know how to prioritize the different activities.
Next Event Goal: The Semper Fi 5K is less than three weeks away and I've yet to make a decision on whether I should attempt it. It certainly seems to be looking less and less likely...
Next Week's Goals: My new approach to goals will be to select only three per week. This week they are (1) Wake up at 5:30am to run at least once; (2) Get my bike into functional shape; and (3) Set a new PR for number of steps walked in one day.

Analysis: Last week was crazy busy for my family -- we had social events, sports events, school events, church events -- and then after all that, we also adopted two brand new kittens! On Wednesday night, I experienced a huge breakthrough with my running, when I finally ran a whole mile without walking! But then I didn't get any "real" exercise the rest of the week. I did still manage to get my 10,000 steps in each day, but I'm not sure if my pacing, marching in place, and dancing around the living room counts as a real workout. I'm torn on that idea, actually. When I do it all at once and not in short spurts, I do get my heartrate up and keep it that way for a while. And I can definitely feel the burn in my muscles afterwards as well. In fact, sometimes those living room workouts might be more intense than some of my treadmill walks! I guess going forward, if I do an improvised living room workout at a sustained intensity for at least 30 minutes, I'll count it as a "real" workout. Anyway, I'm not going to beat myself up over only running once last week. Instead I'm looking forward to the weeks to come, because an important change is happening. Now that I'm done nursing my baby (almost toddler! aack!) in the mornings, I'm going to start getting up earlier and doing the bulk of my exercise in the morning. This will allow me to run outside on nice days, and get back in the pool, and hopefully maintain a much more consistent workout schedule. First though, I have to tackle my natural inclination to be a night owl. I know that I can train my body to wake up and be active earlier (though I'll still be grumpy until I have my first cup of coffee), but it's going to take some time. This morning was my first attempt, and I went back to sleep for another hour. Tomorrow I will try again, and maybe only fall back asleep for another HALF hour. By Thursday, I should be able to drag myself out of bed at 5:30...but will I actually be able to run? We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment