Thursday, July 26, 2012

Extreme Motivation {Inspiration of the Week}

Have you seen Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition? If not, you should check it out. In each episode, trainer Chris Powell takes one morbidly obese person and works with him or her for an entire year to lose weight and make huge lifestyle changes.

I love this show because it's truly about these people's journeys to better health, and Chris works hard to help them succeed. There is none of the game-playing, manipulating, backstabbing drama that you find on other reality shows, so this became a great replacement for me after I quit watching The Biggest Loser.

The stories are incredibly inspirational...when I watch other people overcome the obstacles in their lives, I can't help but feel empowered to overcome my own! In one episode this season, there was a man who broke up with his fiance, was homeless, and suffered the death of his son, all within the year when he was supposed to be losing weight and getting healthy. I would not have blamed him one little bit for giving up, even for a little while, but he never did. He understood that his health was too important to let life get in the way, and he stayed the course. How can I complain about all the silly things I use as excuses to skip workouts or eat junk?

I've been watching this season all this week, and it's really helping me get in the right frame of mind for this stage of my journey. I'm making more of an effort to lose weight, and I'm running through some pain, and I've just added biking...I need to keep this momentum going! Thinking of the courage and tenacity of the people Chris has helped transform is driving me to keep up my hard work.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Chris Powell is pretty cute. :) So, you know, if that's the sort of thing that inspires you, that's another reason to check out this show. It airs on Sunday nights at 9pm on ABC and the next new episode is August 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment