Saturday, January 16, 2016

Tonsillectomy Recovery: Day 4

Weight: 221
Change from yesterday: none
Change overall: -4

Today has been strange. I'm pleased to say I have not experienced any more nausea or vomiting, so yay for that! Instead, I've had this mysterious headache, throbbing in one particular spot on the right side of my head. It was especially bad this morning, so I pushed myself through my breakfast (oatmeal) in order to take some percocet, and a nap after the meds seemed to do the trick. But the headache came back in the early afternoon. I expected to have to chase it away with another dose of drugs, but oddly enough it went away on its own just after I finished eating lunch (mashed potatoes). So strange.

Another weird symptom today was dizziness. I've been dizzy off and on as a side effect of both meds I'm on, but it got really strange today when listening to music made me too dizzy and I had to turn it off. That was just...odd.

So, I'm still feeling most of the pain on the right side of my throat, which is starting to make me paranoid. Did they play a trick on me and leave the left tonsil in there??? Or was there some sort of nerve damage when the abscess was drained that has left that side of my throat with less feeling?

My tongue is still swollen and sore and some spots on it are a little numb. It feels weird.

Everything just sort of feels weird right now. I'm still waiting for the worst pain to arrive. The ear pain comes and goes and is bad but not nearly as bad as I've read about, so I'm assuming I just haven't gotten to that stage yet.

Also I'm getting bored. The headaches and dizziness have made it difficult to do anything at all, and the time continues to pass so slowly. I'd like to be able to watch movies or something at some point.

I wrote all of the above this afternoon, before the exciting adventure that was DINNER! Tonight's dinner was mashed potatoes, which I've eaten a few times now without incident. Well this was my most painful meal yet! Every swallow stung like crazy, and if I weren't so committed to preventing nausea, I might have just quit eating entirely. But I toughed it out so my stomach would be nice and calm when I took my next dose of percocet. It's important to have goals, right?

Anyway, the pain subsided a lot once I finished eating, even before I took more meds, so I guess I'm still in pretty decent shape. I did notice today that I've all but stopped talking. It's uncomfortable enough that it's just not worth it. I can text with my husband, so communication is not a problem, but the kids don't seem to grasp that I can't really respond to them now. They'll catch on soon, I'm sure. :)

I'm going to go ahead and publish this now instead of in the middle of the night. I might try to get more actual sleep tonight. And if not, I'll just start writing the NEXT update when I'm wide awake at 3:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment