Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saturday Shopper - Running Shoes

Thanks to all the wonderful advice I received on Facebook after my post about leg pain, I am finally going to go to a running store and get fitted properly for the best shoes for me. I hope to go sometime in the next couple of days, but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone has any particular shoes they recommend.

Naturally, I will listen to the advice of the experts in the store, but if I'm left with a couple of different shoes from which to choose, I'd love to know which brands my runner friends prefer and why. I will take any and all tips under advisement, and report back on what I end up buying! Thanks!

In other news, unrelated to running or shoes, I have another update on my flip turns. When I first started practicing flips in the water, I would do it for 5-10 minutes after I had finished my regular swim workout. On Thursday I decided it was time to start incorporating the flip turns into my workout, and I managed to do them through all but 2 laps! I had even more success on Friday, doing flip turns throughout my entire workout. Now, they don't look pretty and their quality is incredibly inconsistent. I have a tendency to go sideways and all wonky, so my "flips" are really more like "half somersaults with a twist." So I will continue to work on my form and technique and practice practice practice until I can get it right every time.

Every so often I get water up my nose. Once upon a time, that would have caused me to stop swimming until I'd recovered, but I'm proud to say that now I can keep swimming through the discomfort. This is a reminder of the progress I have made in the past 3 months, from having to physically hold my nose closed whenever my face went in the water, to being able to do flip turns and not be stopped by getting water up my nose! Maybe someday I will even be able to dive. That is something I have never been able to do in my entire life. Diving isn't really a necessary component of my fitness goals, but I'm starting to get a little high off of conquering fears and accomplishing things I never thought possible. I might give diving a try one day just to see if I can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment