Wednesday, September 1, 2010

One Goal Down...

I don't mean to brag, but I can now run 30 straight minutes without walking, and without feeling like I'm about to die at the end!! Okay, so I'm still running at a pretty slow pace and have more time/distance to cover before I can complete a 5K, so if I am bragging, I really shouldn't be! :)

Still, the 30-minute run is a goal that has eluded me for many years now, and I feel pretty terrific for finally accomplishing it! I've even done it twice already, so the first time clearly wasn't just a fluke!

As amazing as I feel, there is no time to rest on my laurels, because I have so many larger goals still looming on the horizon. I still need to stretch my 2.5 miles into 3.1 and actually finish my first 5K race. Once that is complete, I will immediately begin training for my first 10K which I'll run on October 31st!

After that, I have a few other races in mind, plus my triathlon training for next year, so there is always something for which to prepare. I like having goal after goal ahead of me, because it motivates me to keep going and getting more fit and healthy. To anyone who struggles to stick with an exercise program, I highly recommend setting specific goals, such as completing races or improving performance - it's so much more fun than just trying to force yourself to spend "x" amount of time in the gym every day!

I want to take a moment to thank you, my readers and supporters. Your encouragement has helped to push me through the rough spots and I am so grateful! There have been a few times during difficult runs when I thought about quitting, but then realized how disappointed in me you all would be, and so I kept going. You have truly become part of my journey and I hope that I am making you proud! Please know that you will be in my thoughts throughout my first race in just A WEEK AND A HALF! I hope you will be thinking of me too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment