Saturday, September 11, 2010

Today's the Day!!

My outlook is definitely different today than it was yesterday. I didn't conquer my demons or silence the negative self-talk; I simply shifted the focus from ME ME ME to the reasons I chose this race on this day in that place.

The Arlington 9/11 Memorial 5K is about something much larger than my little fitness journey, and if I keep that in mind, I should have all the motivation I need to push through and finish. If I stop running before the finish line, the terrorists win! Okay, that's a little melodramatic, but I do believe I will prevail today because of the deeper meaning behind the race. I've spent the morning reflecting on that tragic day 9 years ago - it's amazing how many details I still can recall - and now I'm ready to take the shock, fear, sadness, and anger and turn them all into triumph, albeit on a small scale.

Now it's time to stop reflecting and start getting pumped up! The weather in Arlington is currently 75 degrees and partly cloudy - beautiful! I need to make a final decision on attire (I wasn't able to buy a new shirt after all and was planning to go with my running tank, but this morning started thinking that maybe I should wear an American flag shirt....aaaahhh why is this so difficult? LOL) , do some light stretching, and then hop in the car for the long drive around the Beltway. I hope to post the results, along with some photos, tonight, or tomorrow night at the latest.

Thanks again for all of your support through the past several months! I hope I don't let any of you down today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment