Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reunited and It Feels So Good

I just spent 22 minutes with an old friend I've been neglecting.

I'm talking about my treadmill, of course! This was the first time I've used it since late January. I visited it a couple of times throughout the past couple of months...sitting there in a corner room in the basement, looking lonely and forgotten. Tonight I made it feel loved and appreciated again! And it made me feel powerful and capable.

Oh, I only walked a nice slow mile, but isn't there a saying that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step? Well tonight I took my first step...and second...and third...etc. I am well into my journey now. The length of the road does not scare me - I am excited about what lies ahead!

It's worth noting that I did not feel any pain in my leg. I'm not surprised, however. I expect that if the pain is going to return, it won't happen until I'm actually running again. I plan to attempt my first little run two weeks from tonight, so I should remain pain-free AT LEAST until then.

For now, I will try to walk every night, in addition to my weekday morning swims. And I won't take a single moment of any of this for granted. Experiencing an injury that limited my mobility for a while has reminded me to appreciate what a gift it is just to be able to walk on two strong legs. I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment