Monday, August 8, 2011

Flipping the Magical Switch

After last week's post written by Debbie Downer, I figure I owe y'all a little of my more characteristic cheerfulness. I'm feeling rather chipper today because over the past week I have experienced this wonderful phenomenon that now has happened at least twice. With my first two c-sections, the pain faded away probably about a month after the surgery (though I don't remember precisely when).

Last time and now this time, as of 5 weeks postpartum, I was still hurting and popping ibuprofen a couple times a day, wondering when or if I would ever feel better. Then within a matter of days, before I hit the 6-week mark, the pain just vanished as if I had found and flipped the magic "off" switch! Suddenly I feel pretty normal again, sleep deprivation and general exhaustion notwithstanding. Stairs are no problem, and even bending over finally feels okay!! The only movement that really hurts at all right now is rising from a completely horizontal position. In other words, getting up out of bed in the morning is a sharp reminder that my abs are still a little sore. I'm sure even that small ache will disappear soon too.

I don't know what is so special about this week that how I feel changes so drastically from beginning to end of it, but I guess maybe there is a reason doctors schedule the official postpartum checkup for 6 weeks after childbirth. I'd like to declare myself completely healed, but I'll wait until after my OB appointment on Thursday to do the recovery dance of joy. :)

As for Recovery: Phase Two plans, time and energy are still big issues, and I'm definitely rethinking my previous goals. Over the next few days, I'm going to select some specific new goals and develop a realistic training plan, which I will reveal after I've been cleared to resume real exercise. Until then, I'm aiming to go for a couple of 20-30 minute walks around the neighborhood this week, time and weather permitting. Since my goal is two walks, I'll be happy with one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment