Sunday, August 28, 2011

False Start

How did I manage to screw up already, after only one week? I certainly expected to fall behind in my training plan (which is why I built in several weeks in the middle that are overlap and can be skipped), but I didn't expect it to happen immediately. I actually thought the first few weeks would be the easiest to keep on track because I'm not back at work yet so I have more time in which to squeeze a workout...theoretically.

The first three workouts were just walks, and I found the time for them no problem. Then the fourth workout was supposed to be my first run, and despite being excited about it, somehow in the past week I have been unable to make it happen! I don't want to make excuses, but part of the problem is breastfeeding -- it makes it difficult for me to get just about anything done other than goofing off on the internet (I am rocking Farmville these days, let me tell you...). Maybe other nursing moms are just better at fitting tasks between feedings, but I find BF'ing to be inconvenient and a real pain in the rear. Often after a long day of getting nothing done other than feeding and holding the baby, I wonder if it's really worth it...but I usually decide it is. Usually.

This week was also a bit bizarre in that there was an earthquake and a hurricane, neither of which is normal for this area, but if I'm being honest with myself, I won't use those as excuses. The earthquake didn't affect my schedule at all, and the hurricane really shouldn't have. "We" were busy with preparations for the storm, but my husband really did all of the work. And the storm itself wasn't too awful here -- we didn't even lose power, so at the very least I should have been able to get my butt onto the treadmill today. Alas, I did not.

Whether I have any legitimate excuses or not, I missed a week of workouts and am wondering whether I should push on forward from here, or just start over. If I can make that run happen tomorrow, then pushing forward makes sense. If two more days slip past...or three...or more...maybe it will be time to start back over from just the walks again. At least then making a fresh start might give me some psychological motivation and momentum to get going! Maybe. I also go back to working full time a week from Tuesday, and that is when I REALLY will start to come apart at the seams. You'll see. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment