Wednesday, April 13, 2011

One Year Later - Still Dreaming Big!

A year ago today I put myself out there in a major way, announcing to the world (or, okay, to a few friends and family members) that I'd set my sights on someday completing a triathlon. It was a very bold statement for me at the time, and I'm glad I made it public by starting this blog. It's hard to give up on a dream when other people are watching!!

Physically, I'm not much closer to my goal than I was a year ago. This pregnancy has derailed temporarily my running and swimming progress, and caused me to look at all this on a longer timeline. I had originally thought I would attempt the triathlon sometime in this calendar year, but that goal has been adjusted to 2012 instead. Between now and then, I will continue gaining a bunch of weight and then have to lose it all over again, and I'll be starting nearly from scratch with running and swimming. On the bright side, I won't have to re-learn how to breathe with my face in the water -- I think that is a skill that will stick with me now. :)

Psychologically, I have grown by leaps and bounds in the past year. I have learned a great deal about who I am, what I can do, and where I want to go. My goals don't feel as daunting as they once did; I have grown comfortable with hard work, gradual progress, and overcoming obstacles to accomplish what I want. Physical activity is as wonderful for the mind and the soul as it is for the body. I'm addicted to it, and can no longer imagine my life without it.

Even though my journey seems like it has been long already, it still almost feels like the beginning. I've logged a lot of miles and have a few races under my belt now, but so much still lies ahead of me! There will be more races, different distances, different types of events. I still have yet to tackle open-water swimming, which is what I'll encounter in a triathlon. And of course, I also need to start biking!!! So I still have a lot to look forward to, and I'm excited about what the future holds!

Thanks to everyone who has followed along thus far. Your support has bolstered me in the good times and kept me hanging on by a thread through the rough times. You are part of all my successes, and I can't wait to someday celebrate greater triumphs with you!

P.S. If you haven't had a chance yet, please take a look at yesterday's post and give me some feedback on my content! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment