Saturday, April 9, 2011

28 Weeks - Done Running

Workouts this week: 0
Total swim time: 0
Total run/walk mileage: 0
Other workouts: 0
Weight: 207 lbs
Total weight gained: 23 lbs

Folks, it's time to make a change, for the sake of my sanity and my long-term success. It was a rough week (busy, and low on sleep) and it culminated in a miserable day. Overwhelmed by lengthy lists of things that need to be done around the house, done before the baby arrives, and/or done by Easter, I really needed to be extremely productive this weekend. Instead, I spent my day barely coping with three unmanageable boys who all decided to have psychotic breaks on the same day!!!

I know these days happen to us all, and the best we can do is try to shake it off and attack the next day with a positive outlook and hope that things will be better. What today showed me, though, is that I need to start simplifying what I can and relieving some of the pressure I put on myself. One of the things in the back of my mind all day was that I desperately needed to get a run in, but with everything else going on, I just didn't have the time or the energy, and not being able to get it done was stressing me out. So I've decided that it's time just to stop running.

The aches and pains are getting to me more and more, and I'm not getting very good sleep at night. I'm exhausted all the time and just dragging myself through the day. Running takes more energy than I have to give, but each day that I can't seem to make myself do it just leaves me feeling frustrated. Since I keep making running my goal each day, when I can't do it, I don't do anything else either, and next thing you know I'm left with zero workouts for the week. It's time to give myself a break. I really don't think the short, slow runs I'm going now are going to make that huge of a difference in my recovery anyway.

Let's be realistic here. When I get back to running in August, it's going to be almost like starting from scratch whether I run a few more times or not. The best thing I can do for myself is to keep up some basic level of fitness by more routinely doing easier workouts, like swimming and walking. I think 4-5 lower-impact workouts per week will be better than just 1 run and nothing else....and definitely better than doing nothing at all!! I'm done with the headgames, and done with setting myself up for failure. It's time to focus on what I can do successfully. An easier workout plan will help lower my stress level in more ways than one. Next Saturday, if I can look back at my week and be proud of all the swimming and walking I've done, maybe I'll even be better equipped to deal with my little monsters if they all decide to bring the crazy at the same time again!!! :) (Note: I say that with much love...I adore my little monsters, and I don't hold their bad days against them, especially b/c they probably get most of their craziness from ME! hahaha)

So here's to the next stage of this journey...the hiatus from running has begun, and I'm in a similar position now that I was in a year ago, relying on swimming (and walking this time) to get me through until I can run again. I will be drawing from the lessons I learned from my stress fracture recovery to keep going, to stay motivated and focused on my goals, through the end of my pregnancy and subsequent c-section recovery. I am confident that I can do this. I'm not giving up on myself or embracing my lazy habits. Taking a break from running is not a failure. I am merely shifting my focus to more attainable goals as a way of adapting to my circumstances. I am still strong. I am still capable. I am not quitting. :)

1 comment:

  1. You rock, April! It's not quitting, it's a hiatus. I am confident you will rock running once you return. XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete