Saturday, August 7, 2010

Night and Day

Today I made a significant change in my workout routine. Up until now, I had been running late in the evenings, usually around 9:00pm. This morning, for the first time in a long time, I ran in the morning.

I'd been planning to make this change for quite some time, but didn't get around to doing it until it became necessary. When my oldest son starts kindergarten in a few weeks, we have to really streamline our schedule to keep him on a good routine and keep our busy family functioning. This means only one workout per day, first thing in the morning.

Most weeks, my new routine will be as follows:
Monday: Swim
Tuesday: Run
Wednesday: Swim
Thursday: Run
Friday: Swim
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Run

This should get me through the next few months. I might add some yoga in the evenings occasionally, and I'll throw in some other workouts in place of the swims from time to time as well.

Running first thing in the morning definitely had a different feel today...it took longer than usual to fully warm up and settle into my stride. But the run still felt good and I'm pleased with how it went.

Next week I'll be on vacation and I will add another new element to my running: the great outdoors! I have not run outside since I got my treadmill last November. As my runs get longer, it gets harder to keep staring at the same old walls, so I'm looking forward to the change of scenery. I'll still use my treadmill in bad weather, or when I need to get a better idea of my speed. I will report next week how my transition to outdoor running goes...let's just hope I don't face plant into concrete like I did a year ago!

Countdown to 5K: 5 weeks today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment