Monday, May 24, 2010

A Quarter for My Thoughts

A penny for my thoughts just won't do...it's inflation, people! Just kidding - the quarter actually refers to my progress in my walk/run program. I officially have completed 25% of it! So that's 4 weeks down and 12 to go!

I'm definitely still a long way from running the 5K distance though. I have run a total of 6 minutes in a session, and tomorrow night I will increase that to 9 minutes (not consecutive). My progress is slow, as I knew it would be, but it is steady and mostly pain-free so far. I do have occasional aches in my left leg, near where my injury was, but nothing severe or sustained so I still think I'm in the clear for now. I do worry about it occasionally though. I'm not sure how long you have to be healthy before you can shake off the worry about re-injury.

Meanwhile in the pool, I have continued to build up my endurance by decreasing the amount of time that I pause between laps. The next big challenge I want to tackle is learning how to do flip turns. Since I have issues with getting water up my nose, this is going to be as slow a process as anything else. I've been practicing blowing air out my nose underwater and have attempted a few feeble flips (in place, not while swimming laps). I'll let you know how things go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment